An explanation of these rules and the reasons for changing them from last year can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/weapons-policy-clarification
To ensure safety at Genericon, we ask that all Cosplay weapons/props adhere strictly to the following policy.
- ABSOLUTELY NO LOOSE GLITTER – IF GLITTER EASILY FALLS OFF OF IT, DON’T BRING IT!!!
- No metal in any part of the weapon or prop, including sword/light saber hilts
- No wooden weapons or props, except for those made of plywood or balsa wood (1)
- No real and/or functional weapons OF ANY KIND, including bows/firearms or realistic/functional toy guns (2)
- No functional projectiles, including Nerf darts
- No glass or fiberglass
- No functional whips, flails, or flail-like weapons or props
- No functional maces, clubs, or weapons of that category
- No large weapons or props that may restrict crowd movements or are unsafe (3)
- No weapons or props with sharp edges
- No carrying weapons or props around campus while off con-space
- No weapons or props are allowed on the dance floor at the dance/rave or the Cosplay Ball
(1) – Regarding Wood: Most of the craft wood at your local home improvement store is probably plywood or balsa wood. You are making a prop, not a desk: it doesn’t have to be solid mahogany.
(2) – Regarding Guns: Realistic and/or functioning guns/firearms, including, but not limited to, airsoft rifles, BB guns, paintball guns, etc, are strictly prohibited. Nerf blasters or disc shooters are allowed provided that they are 1) not functional, and 2) have no projectiles. Toy firearms/guns or replicas of such are allowed provided that they are 1) not functional, and 2) clearly distinguishable as not real guns (i.e. has an orange tip).
(3) – Regarding Size: Props larger than a standard door frame, in both length and width, are greatly discouraged. A 7.5 foot tall scythe (looking at you RWBY cosplayers) may look incredibly cool, but safety has to come first – size does matter in this case.
Special arrangements can be made for props in violation of this policy to be temporarily available for those participating in a Genericon organized Cosplay event. Please see a staff member at Cosplay Info for details. All arrangements will be made on a case by case basis at the discretion of the Genericon staff.
ALL WEAPONS AND PROPS MUST BE APPROVED AT THE WEAPONS CHECK
Genericon is not responsible for any lost, broken, or stolen weapons/props during the convention.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, and that of its staff, volunteers, and other affiliates, Genericon reserves the right to confiscate or deny any weapon or prop at any time, even if it’s already been approved, for any reason including, but not limited to: the weapon/prop is deemed unsafe, or the weapon/prop fails to follow the Weapons Policy, or the weapon/prop is being used in a dangerous or inappropriate manner. Failure to comply will result in possible expulsion from the convention and further action as necessary.
If you have any further questions, please see a staff member at Cosplay Info or contact the Cosplay Coordinators. Thank you for your cooperation, and we hope you enjoy Genericon!!!