To ensure safety at Genericon, we ask that all cosplays adhere strictly to the following policy. Ignorance of these rules will not be deemed a valid excuse for a violation of the policy.
- Nudity: No costume is no costume. Nudity and the gratuitous display of body parts considered genitalia, including the buttocks, is strictly prohibited. Violation of this rule WILL result in your removal from the convention, and further action as necessary.
- “Offensive” Cosplays: Cosplays and/or insignia representing or associated with hate groups (e.g. Nazis, KKK, etc), Cosplays “in bad taste” (e.g. a suicide bomber), and/or Cosplays meant specifically to harass individuals or groups (e.g. cosplaying as your ex in order to humiliate them) are strictly forbidden. For the safety and well-being of all attendees, violation of this rule WILL result in your removal from the convention, and further action as necessary.
- “Impractical” Cosplay: Cosplays that are a hazard to the cosplayer and/or the people around them and/or are too large (e.g. stilts, large armor, multi-person costumes, cosplays that obstruct vision, etc) are highly discouraged. However, a case by case determination will be made if necessary to ensure safety at the convention. Please contact the Cosplay Coordinator(s) or see a Staff member at Cosplay Info with any questions or concerns.
- Weapons/Props: All weapons and props must be approved at Weapons Check and MUST adhere to the attached Weapons Policy. Weapons that are unapproved WILL be confiscated by our staff without exception. Exceptions to the policy may be granted on a case by case basis at the discretion of the Cosplay Coordinator(s). Please contact the Cosplay Coordinator(s) or see a Staff member at Cosplay Info with any questions or concerns.
- Masks and Facial Coverings: It is prohibited to wear a mask or facial covering at the convention that covers more than half of the face. Masks and such facial coverings will be allowed on stage for the Contest and Masquerade only. Body paint, prosthetics, or other similar modifications that obscure or obstruct identification are in general discouraged, but not prohibited. Please contact the Cosplay Coordinator(s) or see a Staff member at Cosplay Info with any questions regarding what constitutes a mask or facial covering.
- Media Waiver and Release: Genericon will be recording and taking photos of cosplays during the convention and specifically at the Contest and Masquerade. By wearing cosplay and/or participating in the Genericon Cosplay Contest and Masquerade, you hereby grant permission to Genericon, its representatives, and other affiliates the right to take said photographs or videos of you and to make recordings of your voice for the duration of the Genericon convention hosted by the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. You further grant Genericon, its representatives, and other affiliates the right to reproduce, use, exhibit, display, broadcast, distribute and create derivative works of these images and recordings in any media now known or later developed. You acknowledge that Genericon owns all rights to the images and recordings. You waive any right to inspect or approve the use of the images or recordings or of any written copy. You waive all moral rights and any right to royalties or other compensation arising from or related to the use of the images, recordings, or materials. You also hereby release, defend, indemnify and hold harmless the producers from and against any claims, damages or liability arising from or related to the use of the images, recordings or materials, including but not limited to claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, or rights of publicity or copyright infringement, or any misuse, distortion, blurring, alteration, optical illusion or use incomposite form that may occur or be produced in taking, processing, reduction or production of the finished product, its publication or distribution. Your participation in the Genericon Cosplay Contest and Masquerade signifies your acknowledgement and agreement to adhere to this policy. If you are under the age of 18, your participation in the Genericon Cosplay Contest and Masquerade signifies your parent’s or legal guardian’s acknowledgement and agreement to adhere to this policy.